Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Step 5 - Headstock Lacquer & Body Tung Oil

Now that I've worked out the whole tung oil/lacquer question, I've put the custom label on the headstock. If you're wondering, the font is called Dymaxion Script. I was looking for a good 50's looking script font and found it over at www.dafont.com. It's a free ttf font, so if you like it, head over and pick it up.

The label material is laser printer polyester peel and stick from www.papilio.com, although I bought it off ebay. Much cheaper that way, someone's always selling a pack of it. I printed several different fonts and sizes to see which one I liked best and which one fit the headstock as well on plain paper first. Don't forget to put the truss rod cover in place while you're sizing it up.

Once the label's on, the first of several coats of Minwax clear semi-gloss lacquer goes on. Supposedly, enough layers will hide the label's edge. I'll keep at it until it does or I figure it's got enough coats. Once there's enough, and it's good and dry, I'll carefully mask the top and start tung oiling the sides of the headstock and back of the neck.

First tung oil coat on the body. I wiped it on with a paper towel, looking for a thin, even coat. According to the can, tung oil has to dry for 12 hours. It's going to be several coats before it's done, so I'm looking at a lengthy process. Not much sense posting pictures of paint drying, so I'll be back when there's something new to show.

No comments: